We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website Learn more

Home

Saved research

Submission

04 - Carbon Storage Potential of Selected Mangrove Forests in Padre Burgos, Quezon, Philippines

Submitted

52 Views
0 Downloads
0 Saves

Presented at

XXV IUFRO WORLD CONGRESS

-

Presentation

thumbnail

Abstract

One of the most-talked about issues of global concerns today is climate change. Tropical forests play an important role in the climate change as sources and sink of carbon. Thus, mangrove forests have significant role in mitigating the climate change problem. The study aimed to measure the amount of accumulated biomass in a mangrove forest; determine the amount of carbon storage in the above-ground biomass and belowground of the area; and assess the potential contribution of mangrove forest to the mitigation of climate change. Results of the study showed that the mangrove area has a mean biomass carbon density of 189.53 Mg/ha where the entire amount is contributed only by tree biomass. Soil however, accounted to 51.92 Mg/ha of carbon density. Total carbon density of the area including aboveground (tree) biomass and belowground (soil) has amounted to 241.45 Mg/ha. Highest amounted was accounted by the aboveground which is 78 percent and the remaining 22 percent was in belowground. Using the results obtained in this study, Philippine mangrove forest can store 28 M tons of carbon. This implies that mangrove can offer a great potential carbon sink.

Datasets

No datasets are available for this submission.

Morressier

Company

Legal

Follow us

© Copyright 2020 Morressier GmbH. All rights reserved.

Morressier

© Copyright 2020 Morressier GmbH.
All rights reserved.