We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website Learn more

Home

Saved research

Submission

Efficacy of platelet rich plasma injection in diabetic neuropathy: double blinded randomized controlled trial

Submitted

67 Views
1 Downloads
0 Saves

Presentation

thumbnail

Abstract

Background: Neuropathy is a common complication of diabetes mellitus (DM) with a wide clinical spectrum that encompasses generalized to focal and multifocal forms not only leads to an impaired quality of life, but also to an increased morbidity and mortality . Till now there is no available effective therapy for the treatment of diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN). Autologous platelet-rich plasma is easy and cost-effective method as it provides necessary growth factors that promote wound healing/growth, angiogenesis, and axon regeneration . Objective: To evaluate the clinical efficacy and safety of peri-neural injection of platelet rich plasma (PRP) in the treatment of diabetic peripheral neuropathy compared to traditional medical treatment. Method : Prospective double blinded randomized controlled trial was conducted (ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT03250403) . All included patients had type 2 DM selected from Endocrinology unit Department of Internal medicine, Assuit university Hospital, Egypt . DPN of at least 5 years duration of symptoms . Patients with other causes of neuropathy like hereditary neuropathies , entrapment neuropathies , overt neuropathy with foot ulcers and /or amputation , peripheral arterial diseases ,connective tissue diseases , vertebral diseases ,thyroid disorders and end organ failure were excluded . Neuropathy was assessed by the modified Toronto Clinical Neuropathy Score (mTCNS) 2009 (3) Symptom scores Sensory test scores Foot pain Pinprick Numbness Temperature Tingling Light touch Weakness Vibration Ataxia Position Sense Upper limb symptoms Symptom scores graded as Sensory test scores graded as 0 = absent 0 = normal 1 = present but no interference with sense of well-being or activities of daily living 1 = reduced at the toes only 2 = present, interferes with sense of well-being but not with activities of daily living 2 = reduced to a level above the toes, but only up to the ankles 3 = present and interferes with both sense of well-being and activities of daily living (both) 3 = reduced to a level above the ankles and/or absent at the toes Baseline pain and nerve conduction studies were done. Regardless of age and gender participants were double blindly divided into two groups, both the control and experimental groups received primary treatment (vitamin B complex, α lipoic acid, SSRI) and strictly control blood glucose. Group I underwent PRP peri-neural injection under ultrasound guidance . Group װreceived medical treatment only( control group) . Blood glucose was strictly controlled in both groups . Patients were followed every month for 3 months by mTCNS and by nerve conduction studies. Results were expressed as means ± standard deviation or frequencies. Independent Student’s t test and mann-whitney test were used for comparison between groups Results: the study included 60 type 2 diabetic patients with peripheral neuropathy , 33(55%)were female with a mean age (± SD) of 35.27 ± 12.86 years with duration of DPN 7.42 ± 1.51 years . Of these, there was 34/60 (56%) cases with lower limb neuropathy only. while the rest (26/60) (44%) had both lower and upper limb nerves neuropathy, Nerve conduction study showed axonal affection in only 16/60 cases (26%) and 100% had delayed distal latency and prolonged motor conduction velocities.40 patients underwent PRP peri-neural injection. Significant symptomatic improvement in group I versus group װ (P value ≤0.001). both mean motor nerve conduction velocity of lower limb and Sural conduction velocity were accelerated in group I after 6 months of application of PRP (P value ≤0.05, ≤0.001 respectivly), also mTCNS had improved in group I post PRP injection 10.6± 3.2 versus 21.3± 5.4 at baseline (P value ≤0.001).

Datasets

No datasets are available for this submission.

License

No license information is available for this submission.

Company

Legal

Follow us

© Copyright 2019 Morressier GmbH. All rights reserved.

© Copyright 2019 Morressier GmbH.
All rights reserved.