04 - Carbon Storage Potential of Selected Mangrove Forests in Padre Burgos, Quezon, Philippines

No author information is available for this submission.

61 views
2 downloads

Presentation

The authors are in the process of completing this submission.

Please try again later.

Abstract

One of the most-talked about issues of global concerns today is climate change. Tropical forests play an important role in the climate change as sources and sink of carbon. Thus, mangrove forests have significant role in mitigating the climate change problem. The study aimed to measure the amount of accumulated biomass in a mangrove forest; determine the amount of carbon storage in the above-ground biomass and belowground of the area; and assess the potential contribution of mangrove forest to the mitigation of climate change.

Results of the study showed that the mangrove area has a mean biomass carbon density of 189.53 Mg/ha where the entire amount is contributed only by tree biomass. Soil however, accounted to 51.92 Mg/ha of carbon density. Total carbon density of the area including aboveground (tree) biomass and belowground (soil) has amounted to 241.45 Mg/ha. Highest amounted was accounted by the aboveground which is 78 percent and the remaining 22 percent was in belowground.

Using the results obtained in this study, Philippine mangrove forest can store 28 M tons of carbon. This implies that mangrove can offer a great potential carbon sink.